Re: [pct-l] Ultralight???

Karen Borski wrote:

>   As
> much as I'd like to have a 15-20 lb pack, I simply don't feel
> comfortable with the gear, or should I say lack of gear, required for
> that low of a pack weight.
>
> I guess I'm saying that I know my preferences now -- the items I carry
> in my pack have been tried and tested and I don't feel comfortable with
> less.  However, I still feel rather frustrated that it seems many
> others are making do with less.  Anyone else share this feeling?
> Perhaps I'm not understanding the lightweight concept yet, as I've not
> had the opportunity to read Jardine's famous book.

I did read Jardine's book,  liked and adopted some of his ideas, but my pack
weight without food and water still ended up around 20 pounds - and that was
before I started adding the last minute items:  Things to solve the minor
problems that I hadn't figured out how to solve otherwise,  and small things I
should have put into my first few resupplies but forgot, so I will carry them
from the beginning.  I'm now at about 25.5 lbs from the skin out to start, and
close to 30 lbs for the Sierra when I add a bear canister and ice axe among
other things.

I hope I can reverse the process on the trail and start sending home stuff I
realize I didn't really need after all.

    Allen Downs