Re: [pct-l] Feathered Friends?

I too was very interested in the Rock Wren and Rock Wren II, but ultimately
decided on the Hummingbird after going to the Feathered Friends store and
trying them on.  The Hummingbird is a much warmer bag for the given weight
than the Rock Wren series, but not as versatile in terms of "wearability".
If you're a warm sleeper primarily camping in summer weather, the Rock Wren
probably would work well for you.  If you're a cold sleeper or you're
camping in 3 seasons, I'd go with the Hummingbird (especially with 800-fill
down and 2 oz overfill and/or the PTFE nylon shell) for 10 - 15 degree
warmth.

The guys at the Feathered Friends store said most people who use the Rock
Wren also wear a down jacket inside it.  My attraction to that bag was the
idea that you could eliminate the need for a separate down jacket.  To gain
extra warmth, you could get the Rock Wren II, but that's not nearly as light
as the Hummingbird and Rock Wren.

Ultimately you have to decide your priorities.  I remember seeing some
postings about these bags on rec.backcountry.  Search through DejaNews to
find them.

BTW, the Rock Wrens have been improved this year by eliminating the
sewn-thru stitching, which should increase warmth.

David Long
Seattle, WA
PCT Class of '99

----- Original Message ----- * Message posted to PCT-L from the National
Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Nathan <ny74@hotmail.com>.
* Please use <mailto:ny74@hotmail.com> to reply to the sender.

The Feathered Friends Rock Wren II looks interesting.  Has anyone seen it up
close or have any experience with it?  The catalog says it has arm holes and
draw string foot opening.  It almost sounds like it could be worn like a
dress for those early morning starts before you get a mile or two down to
warmed up.