[pct-l] Nomad Update

    I just received a call from Kurt Russell telling me my Nomad went
into the mail today and is on the way!  He has made some changes which
he described to me over the phone, and I (who have never seen a real
Nomad) will try to describe here.

    He has eliminated the small window on the backside and the foot
vent, and has replaced them with a large window beside the door.  So all
of the ventilation is on one side, but there is more of it then in
previous versions (he estimates 10 square feet).  The window is on the
upper wall of the tent (near the occupant's head), improving the view,
and allowing air to enter at the bottom (through the door) and exit at
the top.  The tent now has fewer seams and is about a foot longer and 2
oz heavier than previously. Except for the door and window, it is
symmetric head to foot and has spreaders in both ends (not just in the
foot).  He hopes to have pictures of the new version on his web site by
the end of this week.

    He has shipped about 40 Nomads so far, and expects to have filled
all of his current orders from PCT thru-hikers within the next 2 weeks.
So far all Nomads are hand made by Kurt (with some help from a
seamstress), but he is looking for a way to farm out some of the work
while keeping positive control on the quality.

    He says my Nomad should arrive tomorrow.  You can bet I'll be
planning a trip soon to try it out (maybe 5-8 April).

    Allen Downs