[pct-l] trail magic

With many of you preparing to head out for the trail, it's probably a
good time for a little reminder about the value of trail magic. I'm
sure nobody on this list would take unfair advantage of the generosity
of a trail angel but we all slip up sometimes.

Some wonderful resources on the AT have been soured by unthinking
folks forgetting that nobody owes them anything while on a thru-hike.
I'd hate to see that happening on the PCT. It's important to remember
that people you encounter probably don't know that you're in the
middle of the adventure of a lifetime. Most of them will only see a
smelly, dirty hiker.

Some of these folks will surprise the heck out of you and extend all
kinds of generosity. It can be as simple as a stranger handing you the
orange that you've been craving for days to someone opening their home
to let you clean up and recharge for the tail ahead. I can't say it
enough. We don't deserve this generosity. Any little thing should be
returned with copious thank yous. If someone really touches you, make
a point of getting their address and drop them a post card when you're
through.

Remember that any friendly reception you get in towns is likely due to
good behavior on the part of hikers that came before you. Do your part
for the folks following behind by leaving a good impression. Ask if
it's okay to leave your pack on someone's door step and then
apologize for smelling so bad yourself. Some folks may still treat
you cold but be nice anyway.  Who knows, you might win them over with
a little kindness.

On a related note, I was surprised at how many of my non-hiking
friends seemed to be taking a genuine interest in my thru-hike. Make a
point of sharing your adventure with them and anybody else you meet
along the way. Whatever circumstances have given you the opportunity
to attempt a thru-hike make you a lucky person. Not many folks can
disappear from "normal" life to trek for 4-5 months. By the time you
reach Oregon & Washington, you will be tired of answering the same
questions from strangers. Try to understand and do it anyway. Don't be
shy about sharing your enthusiasm for the whole experience. I know
that when I'm not hiking, I live somewhat vicariously through the
stories from the trail.

There's one other piece of advice I wanted to mention. I had a tough
time getting my friends to write me along the way. Despite having
handed out dozens of mailing lists, I rarely got letters along the
way. I wrote a lot of letters and post cards which generated some
invaluable when out on the trail. It's not that people don't care
about you but they get involved with their day to day lives and forget
that you're out struggling with the trail. It helps to make it easier
for them to write. Last year on the Long Trail, I gave my friends and
family pre-addressed and stamped post cards to send me along the way.
That helped a lot. The US Mail wants post cards to be 4"x6". A simple
index card works perfectly for that. You all have computers so it
shouldn't be too tough to print up a whole slew of mailing labels.

Okay, I've rambled on too much already. Does anybody else care to
share any trail wisdom for the Class of '99?

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 725-3686
http://gump1.stanford.edu/kbrandt/