No Subject

A couple of quick questions:

I will stage a week long trip to the Mt Goddard region of the sierras in
late June. Most of our hiking will be off trail.  We will start at Lake
Sabrina and finish at North Lake.
I assume we will need ice axes and bear canisters.

Here are the questions:
1. Where is the best place to rent ice axes and bear canisters?
2. I used to use small guide booklets with topo maps glued in the back
published by wilderness press. I called them and they said they no longer
produce such guides.  Mine is from the 70's.  Is it still reliable for off
trail route information ?  If not, who publishes comparable guides?

Thanks for any advice.

ROGER T. KOIDE
Professor
Department of Horticulture