Re: [pct-l] Bears / Cantainers / Sierras

margaret,

thanks for your post.  i am weighing the options as well and haven't quite
decided.  however, after using the 2.9 lbs bear canister a few years ago,
i won't be using it again.

1. it didn't hold nearly all my food, so i had to hang a bag anyway
2. it weighs as much as two days of food

my current plan is to:

1. hang my food when possible (above timerberline it is tough to do,
   but i believe bears don't normally go above timberline at night)

2. try to eat prior to camp in the high-bear areas

3. use the installed bear boxes when available

4. realize that despite my precautions, i might get raided anyway and i'll
   just deal with it.  there is no perfect lock, etc.

the only bears i've ever seen were below the PCT near glacier peak (in
northern washington).  two cubs and an adult.  it was a beautiful sight,
one that i'll never forget.  they moved slowly, looked like they were
eating berries.  but sure can run fast when they want to.  i've seen a lot
of fresh bear poop and fresh bear prints in the snow in yosemite.

disclaimer: i'm no expert and welcome advice.

-----------------

on a different topic, hanta virus (HNV?), was previously known as sin
nombre virus (SNV) (literally "no name virus"), and what should have been
called "four corners virus" in the tradition of naming new virus's after
the location of their first discovery.  a good friend of mine does
research on deer mice that live at about 12,000'.  many have HNV.  she has
to use a hazmat suit to do her work -- kind of freaks the locals.  her
old dissertation professor had a colleague who came down with it and died
within four days.

it is hard to get as the infected mice seem only to be contagious for a
short time.  but the mortality rate at least used to be 50%.  you die by
drowning in the fluid that builds in the lungs.  from what monte says,
though, it sounds like the SNV in the north is either less virulent or the
docs have found better treatment.  the #1 danger is inhaling the dust from
the feces of infected animals.  i think the chance of a pct hiker getting
it, at least one who stays outside of buildings, is very low.  but then
the negative consequences are very high if you do get it.

i looked into lyme disease a little.  you can tell you're infected when
you get a red ring around the bite and maybe flu-like symptoms.  there is
one antibiotic that is effective, i think dioxycyclin (sp?).  i think you
can get treated a while after you get it, but i don't know how long (i
tried to find out, couldn't get a good answer).  my strategy: if i get the
red ring, i'll seek medical treatment the next time i cross a road.

disclaimer: i'm not a medical doctor.

	rob

ps. while i respect other people's political views, i think we'd all be
    better off if those views which don't relate to the pct were aired
    in a different forum.  there are lots of groups on USENET, for
    example, just for this sort of thing.