Re: [pct-l] Section N detour

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Scott Thompson wrote:

> Greetings! I am a '99er gonna-be, planning to leave Campo in late April.

Congratulations, I wish that I could join you.

> A friend who is also a '99er mentioned a trail detour in Section N.
> Specifically, according to her information, '98 hikers had to follow
> logging roads around a number of trail washouts between Myrtle Flat and
> Poison Spring.
> Does anyone know if this is still the case? And if so, is the detour
> relatively easy to find / follow?

This section washed out during the floods of January 2, 1997. To my
knowledge, it hasn't bee repaired yet. Don't worry though. The detour
isn't bad. Basically, it follows the next ridge to the east. The trail
is marked on maps N1, N2, & N3 as a barely visible dotted line. It
made for a punishing climb out of the Feather River canyon but at
least it was easy to follow. The folks in Belden should be able to
point you the right way. You even get to pass by the town cemetery
which if memory serves had all of about 4 graves.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97, LT98, Nepal 99 ???,      (650) 725-3686
http://gump1.stanford.edu/kbrandt/