Re: [pct-l] money matters!

Hey Sly,

I meant to get back with you regarding money on the trail.  If you can, take
Travelers Checks -- mostly $20, small stores don't like to give a lot of
change and you will usually get better service from them if you give them a
$20 travelers check, most especially if there are a lot of PCT hikers there
at the same time.  We all want change for the laundromat!

Don't forget that the Post Offices sell Money Orders and you can charge the
Money Order on your Visa, Mastercard, etc and then go and cash it at the
Store.  Using a credit card at the PO is also very convenient and the
tellers like it too!  We charged our stamps and packages there and it helped
to conserve our cash on hand for places that wouldn't accept cards or
checks. Rule of thumb is to asked what the place will take before you shop.

The PO also sells phone cards, but I don't recommend you get them, they
are too expensive even when you can add minutes on at any PO -- works ok for
some people though.  Walt and I purchased a Sprint phone card that has 200
minutes on it for $20 at the COSTCO store here!  The PO 80 minute card is
$20 and the add on minutes are higher than the cards original minutes!  The
Sprint card says you can call in and charge more minutes, but at what rate I
don't know.  Will try and call Sprint soon and will leave a post as to my
findings.

Take care, hope to see you this weekend.

Happy Trails Couple -- Pat