[pct-l] Non Post office Resupply at Agua Dulce

Thanks Margo for giving the address for the Agua Dulce market ("...the PO is
inside the market. ADdress is c/o General Delivery, 33301 Agua Dulce Canyon
Rd., Agua Dulce, CA 91350"). I had meant to put it out, but we have been
having some very wintry weather here (13 inches Tuesday/Wednesday -- 6-8
more today) and it has been beautiful but difficult to get around,
complicating life and making our days a bit longer.

The new owner of the market started to cater to PCT hikers in '97 when we
went through.  At that time Joan and Bernice were still helping us out
almost 24 hours a day at the Century 21 -- what a duo they were!  The real
estate market has not been so great lately and they are not at the Century
21 as much.  I forget the young couples' name who bought the market, but
last year they applied for a Post Office permit and got it for this year.
The market has plenty of food for hikers and in '97 and last year they asked
hikers what items they could stock for us that would be useful.  Several of
us handed them lists of items we could use and I believe most of our
requests will probably be on the shelves for us this year.  The market sells
Liptons noodles/rice, macarroni & cheese, tuna, chicken in cans, fresh
veggies and fruit, moleskin, powders, chapsticks, sunglasses, gatorade,
film, greeting card ... you get the picture, they will be well stocked.
They also have a deli section and will make sandwiches you can eat on the
spot at their booths.  They have designated one booth for PCT hikers (we can
sit anywhere though) and they keep a hiker box plus the register there.  We
asked if they could put in a laundromat, but the city won't allow them to
put one in because of their sewer system -- sorry.

Agua Dulce (or Sweet Water)is a great town.  The Mexican restaurant is
fantastic and so is the restaurant across the street, they serve a great
breakfast!  The hardware store is ok.  Best of all are Donna and Jeff
Saufley!

In '97, our trailson, Jeremy spent the night there with Andrew the Kid and a
couple of other hikers.  It was Donna and Jeff's first time to host PCT
hikers and they have been doing it ever since.  Last year they must have
given refuge to at least 70 PCT hikers, they are very special Trail Angels
and family members rolled up into one. Donna and Jeff make everyone feel
special, they really care!

Donna and Jeff let us camp in their yard and shower, sleep and cook in a
trailer next to their house.  It is a bit of a walk into town, if someone
isn't going there by car, but Agua Dulce is beautiful and it is a nice walk.
You can get Donna and Jeff's number from the couple at the market. Their
mailing address is 11861 Darling Road, Agua Dulce, CA 91350 in case you
would like to write them.

Now onto another subject -- Duct Tape. We found that it is important to get
the right BRAND of Duct Tape -- Duck Tape is literally for the birds!  Walt
and I have found that the best is made by 3M or Scotch.  It tears well, the
glue does not melt in the heat, it doesn't smell (Duck Tape stinks!) and it
holds best of all.  We usually wrap ours around a bottle or something while
hiking but we also put a role of it in our drift box -- you can't find 3M
Duct Tape everywhere!

We leave in  31 days -- can't get there quick enough!  See you on the trail

Happy Trails Couple