[pct-l] Disaster Prepardness

The secret of disaster prepardness is instantly knowing what the plan is in a
disaster situation.

For example, take rattlesnakes. I have seen exactly one (1) in 15 years in the
Sierra but I started hiking with my three (3) year old son and was unwilling to
just sit there and watch him die if he just happened to get bit. After studying
the problem, I came to the realization that deciding wether to cut suck or walk
[the Cutter snakebite kit approach] was too difficult decision to make after my
only son was bit by a snake. My solution was to carry an extractor, instantly
apply it for a minimum of two hours after a bite and pray. I had no decision to
make if a snake bit my son I would do the extractor/prayer thing without
thought.

I have heard Greg's account of whiteout conditions on Forrester. The problem was
not that he was unprepared for conditions. He had a decision to make. Stay or
walk. He made the wrong choice. My style, again developed when I had my (3)
three year old son with me was: Hole up in my roomy four season tent until it is
clearly safe to start walking again. Now I question if my tent is any heavier
than most tarps but this is not the point. In bad weather I STOP, HOLE UP and
WAIT. I never walk out. This means I carry a 4 season tent but not heavyweight
rain gear. I plan to be in my tent, not on the trail, in serious weather.

Each thruhiker needs to anticipate possible disasters, decide what the response
will be, and equip accordingly. At a minimum one deeds to prepare for:
1- Inclement Weather [Mine is to Hole UP]
2-Painful Injury {Mine is lots of Vcodine}
3-Infection {Mine is PEN VK}
4-Bear steals food {Mine is a fishing pole}
5-Disabling Injury {Mine is never hike alone}