Re: [pct-l] Trail Conditions

   Thanks for the update, Greg. As you know, my hike wasn't on the PCT,
but the crest above, so there were a bit more than snow patches
especially in shady areas. As I recall, tho, the PCT in the San Berdoos
never gets very high, and the Gorgonio-part is mostly thru chaparral, so
it looks like Read & Son will make good time. Am looking forward to his
report.
    Anybody been up Baden Powell lately?            bj

    Oh, just read your story of the rotten time you had hiking in the
Sierra; I truly hope it hasn't made it difficult for you (or anyone else)
to visit that magnificent countryside with confidence again. I'm an
enthusiastic reader of backpacking war-stories - maybe you could tell me
offlist how you came to be surprised by a 3-day subzero (F. right?)
blizzard and had to make an exposed camp at 11,000' south of Whitney on
the PCT? The only place I can think of offhand that high there is Guyot
Pass (bad choice of campsites except in good weather, and there's no
water, ugh) or the Chicken Spring Lake area. The Crabtree junction's over
10,000' but hardly "exposed", neither's Chicken Spring come to think of
it - both offer good shelter/water and are well-below timberline.

     A personal observation: one of the nice things about snow (or any
other kind) of clouds is that they actually make for a _warmer_ night in
the High Country. It's those clear cold nights that get my teeth to
chattering!

>I just feel strongly that ignorance be prevented from taking life from
>those trying to improve their lives.

I'm sorry for chuckling. I know you mean well, but you make the Class of
'99 sound like something out of Grapes Of Wrath! <g> Really, we all seem
to have a consensus that people who make mistakes run a higher risk of
mishap than those that keeps their wits about them. Have to admit wincing
at all this talk about taking lives, tho; offhand, I don't remember any
poster earnestly making suggestions that would send someone off to a
Lethal Fate. Even Jardine stresses safety, as Carl posted, tho I'm no
ultralite myself. I'd carry a box spring mattress set along if I could
lift it - and, cheapskate tho I am, will gladly be the first customer for
the 2lb backpacking version! <G>

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]