RE: [pct-l] Homemade Bear Canister

		Tom writes >>I have tried to stay silent but this
getting silly. Hundreds of thousands of
		dollars have gone into reducing the weight of today's
canister. Assuming you are
		capable of making one yourself use aluminum, not plastic
pipe and emulate the
		aluminum can now on the market. If you make a plastic
can it will wind up
weighing 4 pounds like the first model. <<

 Personally I see no reason  why people shouldn't reinvent the  wheel. I
don't care how much someone has invested in developing what they have.
That  doesn't stop me from doing my own thing. I've made packs,
sleeping bags, tarps, stoves, etc. Making a better mouse  trap is  what
we're all about.

If I can save a few bucks by not buying someone else stuff. So be it.
Obviously a big  component of the cost of the canisters is  what was
spent in the tooling. Especially considering the relatively small
market.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a couple of empty paint cans.
They're cheep and shouldn't weigh more than a pound a piece.

Ron