Re: [pct-l] bear advice on JMT

In a message dated 2/15/99 10:55:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
brick@fastpack.com writes:

<< The only bear boxes I know of in Yosemite NP are at the Tuolumne Meadows
Campground. There are a couple of "Bear Cables" in Lyell Canyon that seem to
work OK, as long as you hang your food properly. >>

When I hiked the JMT in '96, there were also bear boxes in Little Yosemite
Valley Campground plus a "bear cable" at the intersection of the JMT and the
trail to Cloud's Rest (just beyond the trail to Half Dome).

Hanging your food properly on this cable is a no-brainer since you lower the
cable, hang your food bag, and pull the cable back to its full height. No need
to counterbalance so your food hangs higher too.

One of the bear cables (Wires) in Lyell Canyon is at Lyell Fork Base Camp. The
bear wire is attached to trees on opposite sides of the JMT/PCT. You'll hike
right under it. Be prepared to counterbalance your food bags on this wire.

Charlie Jones