[pct-l] ice axe arrest and swell feet

I'll second GoForth's advice on the ice axe practice. I just went through
some practice last winter, and the memory is still clear. You can't read
it from a book, you must DO IT so it is second nature.

You need to be able to arrest from four different positions, and holding
the axe with either hand. So that's eight possibilities.

- face down, feet downhill (the easiest)
- face down, head downhill (gotta be able to turn feet first)
- face up, feet downhill (gotta be able to turn over fast)
- face up, head downhill (the most difficult)

Practice all of them, please! It's important that you know how to hold an
axe so you don't hurt yourself.

A more dramatic and realistic way to practice is to have your instructor
tie a rope to you, and pull you downhill while you arrest. In a real
situation, gravity gets you up to terminal velocity faster'n you think.
I was humbled by the rope-pulling practice, but it really got into my head
that you have to react quickly to save yourself.

Of course, the best thing is don't fall!

On feet swelling: I wonder if tennis shoes (ok, running shoes) with their
lack of support, let the feet swell more than hiking boots? I also prefer
to hike in sneakers. It feels so much faster. But I've never gone on a
super-long trip, so what do I know?!

It's nice to see the list go from the "Crusty" to "Crest" trail lately. No
wonder they named it "Pacific"! Happy trails,

Steve