[pct-l] Revelations on the PCT

In 1997 I was section hiking from Tuolumne Meadows to Sierra
City with my hiking buddy Larry.  Just after passing Dorothy
Lake we stopped to have lunch with 4 thru-hikers who all
independently arrived at the pass within minutes of each other.
Somehow, all 4 thru-hikers knew each other, having met
previously on the trail.  During lunch, one of the hikers asked
the a question: How do you compare your experience on the PCT
with your experience back home?

This turned into an interesting philosophical discussion.  The
other hikers gave there 2 cents worth, but I remember one of the

"At home, I work as a professor at a university in New York.
When I think about hiking on the PCT, it is like reading a book
about a fictitious character who hikes the desert and climbs the
high passes.  The hiker is not a real person.  At home, my
reality is teaching African Studies at the University.
Similarly, when I am on the trail, I think about the Professor
at a university in New York as a fictitious character in a book
that I have read somewhere.  The professor is not real.  While
on the trail, this is my reality, my daily life and all else is
a storybook."

Then the last respondent asked, "what about you"? to the hiker
who posed the question.

Tears came to his eyes as he began to speak.  "I dont understand
what is going on ... I mean, we have all been enduring the
hardships on the trail, and at the same time enjoying the
beauty of the trail.  But I find that now I am the happiest I
have ever been in my life.  And I dont understand why it is
happening here!  Why couldn't this happen in my other life at
home?  Why did I have to come all the way here to figure this
out?"

Then everyone became quiet.  I think we all understood his
feelings.