[pct-l] PCT thu-hiker numbers and odds

According to the 1997 PCT ASSC. Handbook, 360 thu-hikers and riders have
completed the PCT. This is 1970 thu 1996,( I,m sure you can add a few for 1997
and 98' ) 2 completed in 1970, 1 in 71',  7 in 72', 3 in 73', 1 in 74', 1 in
75', 4 in 76', and a whopping 17 in 1977. (my year ) Since then, numbers go
from 5 to 20 hikers depending on the snow. The book may have left a few people
out but you get an Idea how many will finish. Backpacker did a story about a
year ago and said 350 a year will finish the AT most years. The book " Into
Thin Air " claims 667 climbers have topped Everest. The Backpacker Mag. story
claims 80% will fail the AT and 94% will fail the PCT. I would say maybe only
80% will the PCT. If you are going to thu-hike this trail, You had better
listen to those who have made it or you could  go though life saying
shoulda,woulda, coulda.. Most hikers will drop out, sorry to be such a downer,
These are just hard facts so you won,t take this trail lightly even if you,ve
hiked the AT. Monte