[pct-l] Ice Axe extension

RE " several people have mentioned attaching a treking pole section to
an
ice
ax.  I've thought about doing this, and have come up with several ways,
but
wondered what others are doing.  And where can you get replacement parts
and/or just the last section of the pole."

I modified my 60cm Camp HL250 with the addition of a 10 inch ski pole
extension. It's now the perfect height for a walking stick, and I can
add a snow basket to the end when I need it. The tip is replaceable,
and it seems plenty sturdy enough to go the distance. Best of all the
whole thing still comes in under 14 ounces! It wasn't too complicated
to do, but I did need to use a drill press, and an end mill to counter
bore the existing aluminum end plug. Make sure that you use a non
tapered, heavy wall ski pole for your extension.  The old XC Swix
poles work great for this. A tight press-fit, counter-sunk set screws,
and epoxy keep the extension from pulling out. If you can't do it, or
you don't have someone that can, a machine shop can make the
modification in twenty minutes. Good luck.

==
Tucker
email:worknot@yahoo.com