[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #676

> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:27:23 -0500
> From: "Brett Tucker" <blisterfree@surfree.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] MSR Ice Axe & Duct tape
>
> I don't know about PCT hikers solving their early-season foot abrasion
> problems with duct tape. ... <snip> Starting off with
> flexible running shoes of the proper larger-than-normal size should
greatly
> reduce the likelihood of break-in/early season abrasion problems.

Along these lines, I wanted to mention something I haven't seen anyone post
about:  I love running shoes for long-distance hiking and used them for all
but 400 miles in '98 on the PCT, but had intermittent problems with deep
blisters on the balls of my feet when I combined basically soft running
shoes with cushioney insoles, like spenco's (which I loved on the AT with
lightweight hikers).  Generally, this only occurred after a few hundred
miles on each new pair of shoes.

Granted, I started the trail at about 260 lbs. (okay 270) which is probably
a factor.

To solve this problem, I had a cobbler in Ashland, OR make me a pair of
shoe leather insoles (from the thick shoe leather they use to re-sole dress
shoes.  Man, did I have happy feet for the next 900 miles, even on running
shoes with 800-900 miles on them.

Granted, I finished the trail at about 110 lbs. (okay 200) which is
probably a factor.

The only conclusion I can draw is that there is such a thing as too much
padding in your shoes.  Also, if you're having bottom-of-your-feet
problems, it may be because your soles are too packed out, even if your
uppers and tread appear okay.

> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:15:55 -0800
> From: "Joanne Lennox" <goforth@cio.net>
> Subject: [pct-l] Rattlesnakes at night, resupply goods getting stale?
>
> I am pondering what I can put in my resupply boxes.  Some of these are
> going to sit around for more than 5 months.  Did any items go stale or
> rancid in your resupply boxes?.

On the AT, I had lots of stuff I had repackaged get funky, stale, and start
to taste like other stuff.  I would suggest leaving as much stuff in its
store packaging as possible.  I think it's better suited to long-term
room-temp storage than zip-locs.  I don't know about those home vaccuum
bags.

> The complexity of the resupply boxes just boggles my mind.  It would
> probably be okay if I was completely set on my itinery, but Iam not.
There
> is the possibility that I will go North to Ashland from near Kennedy
> meadows.The resupply days change depending if you are going North or
South.
>  What did the people do last year, when they got to Kenedy Meadows, and
> then bused to Manning to continue South?.  Their resupply boxes to the
same
> location would have to have a different number of days of food.

Alternatively, you could consider doing a lot fewer pre-prepared
resupplies.  Unless you have dietary restrictions or are really picky (or
you just love putting together your groceries for the next 5 months), you
can do fine on the PCT entirely without mailed food.  I won't go in to
detail here, but if you're interested in an alternative, get in touch with
me.  (This isn't theoretical:  in '98 Jenelle and I only used mailed food
twice, and both times ended up being unnecessary, but we didn't have enough
info on what to expect.)

Chris.