[pct-l] Re: Resupply boxes

Joanne wrote:  For those of you who traveled at night on the PCT south of
the Sierras, did you run into any rattlesnakes at night? Did they rattle?  I
am sure it is hard enough to see all the things that stick, stab, and stink
at night without getting nailed by a rattler.

We didn't do much hiking at night -- but snakes don't like the cold, and it
gets cold at night in the desert.  To the best of my knowledge, snakes go
down a hole at night, or they may curl up next to a warm rocky area - which
is where you might step on a sleeping one if you are hiking at night.  Young
snakes are the most dangerous, big doesn't always mean bad, and we will be
hiking in the early spring when they hatch. Their venom is very concentrated
and they haven't yet learned how to judge how much venom to inject into
their prey to make it manageable enough to eat -- makes it a bit more
intriguing huh.   I was never "attacked" by any of Charlie's relatives -- no
Cholla every jumped out at me.  Walt and I had very wonderful desert
memories, and "yes" we did see snakes and they did get "rattled" -- they
were scared! We also saw plenty of catcuses and even got a "few" needles,
but nothing we couln't tweezer.

The most "Obnoxious" part of our trip however, was when we were constantly
"engulfed and stabbed" by mosquitoes in the Sierrias!  I would much rather
be "rattled" or "needled" every once in awhile than deal with those low life
"buzzing" end of the food chain.

>I am pondering what I can put in my resupply boxes.  Some of these are
>going to sit around for more than 5 months. The complexity of the resupply
boxes just boggles my mind.

Check the PCT Town Guide for Southen California Joanne.  There are so many
places that you can resupply from --  I would suggest you send yourself your
first food supply box to Warner Springs, you can get most everything you
need in town.  It is a funny thing about hiking and eating --  tastes really
change and what we sent ourselves we really got tired of and wished our menu
was different.  Cost is another consideration. Yes, small towns charge more
for their items, but the cost of sending food to yourself (especially since
the Postal rates have increased!) really is a factor and you will probably
save money by not sending it. Town Hiker boxes will supply some of your
needs and bartering is such a wonderful pastime -- aHHH  food on the trail,
a time consuming fun filled fantasy!

From Kennedy Meadows on -- you will need to be prepared and send boxes there
afterwards as towns are far and few. If you missed sending before there,
Lone Pine and Independence have moderately big food stores and you could
even start boxing up your food there if you didn't do it in Tehachapi or
Mojave.  By that time you will know what foods your body needs and what
works for you as far as cooking and snacks.  In the desert we didn't eat
very much and a good bit of our food was bartered for what we were hungry
for or left in the hiker box -- a waste of money again! Most everyone we met
ate LOTS of peanut butter! I dehydrated lots of fruit, vegetables and some
meats, NEVER again -- it was lots of work and we ended up getting tired of
it or throwing it away!  Another waste of money and hard work. For others it
was great. By not sending yourself much in the way of food in S. California
you will save yourselve a great deal of stress and money!

Walt and I mailed 32 boxes to ourselves at a cost of $25- 30 a box for food
and then $25-28 in postage!  I am not very good at math, but even I can
figure out we wasted a lot of money.  Because we got tired of what we had
sent ourselves and spent about $25 in new food just resupplying our supply
box! We not only lost money, we lost time and added stress because we were
always having to hurray into town and we were not enjoy the trail -- it was
horrible!  Ashland is another place where people went into town and
resupplied for Oregon and Washington.  If you supply ALL of your boxes and
(OH HEAVEN HELP ME!) for some reason you have to get off the trail before
Oregon and Washington you won't have wasted the money on the boxes you sent
here too.

I remember what we went through in '97 and know what a frustrating time this
is for everyone regarding the food boxes. Read some of the PCT Journals on
the various web sites and make up your own mind, you'll change it like you
do your gear after you are on the trail anyway!  It is the nature of the
trail to change you and make you stretch your rubber band.  It wouldn't be
an adventure without the challenges.

See you in Big Bear at the theater for Star Wars! It would be great to see
those of you on the list who aren't hiking this year there too.  Maybe we
could have an early gathering!

See you soon!

Happy Trails -- Pat