[pct-l] Class of '97

Hey Class of '97!  We just got anothr letter from Meadow Ed.  For those of
you who were lucky enough to walk and talk with Jim Everett I want to let
you know that he passed away in October.  I am sure his daughters are
missing him -- I know we are!

Jim Everett was 63 in '97 -- out on his "Walk About" as the Aborigines of
Austrailia would say.  The year before he was going in for some surgery and
the pre-op blood work came up positive for leukemia.  After all the kemo,
surgery, etc. he decided to catch a star and make his wish to thru hike the
PCT in '97 come true.  Walt and I are so glad he did for our lives have been
richer for knowing him. He started hiking in Campo with one of his daughters
who was worried about how he would do.  She left after a week or so ---
couldn't keep up with good old Dad!  She toldd her other sister not to
worry, Dad had walked her socks off! And he could walk most of our socks off
too! Jim underwent kemo again in October of '97 after he got off the trail.
This year I didn't mail any Christmas cards out and hadn't heard from Jim
sinsce late August.  Our situation here has been so hectic with my Mother
that I hadn't thought too much about not getting a card from him.  Acoupld
of weeks ago wrote a letter to Ed and mentioned that I hadn't heard from Jim
in awhile and hadn't gotten a Christmas card from him either and was
wondering if he had heard from him.

And you know the rest of the story.  God Bless you JIM!  You are an
inspiration to us all.

**Ed Fauber lives in Pasadena and has hiked the PCT.  When you get to
Kennedy Meadows you will probably have the opportunity, and pleasure, of
meeting Ed, he takes care of PCT Hikers in a big way.  In Ed's letter he
mentioned that the well had been drilled -- I hope he means the one in Kelso
and that is BIG NEWS -- no more cow pond water to ponder on drinking or not
drinking (Sorry!)

Good Night JIM and Happy Trails!

Love Ya -- Granny Gear