Re: [pct-l] Annoying Plants along the PCT

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:52:13 -0800 "Hurricane Helen" <hhloth@neworld.net>
writes:
>I am trying to choose between the ultralite, solar powered weedeater
>and the heavier but more efficient gasoline powered mower. [snip] What
do
> others think?

     Good thinking, Helen; have you considered a _third_ option, which I
believe was earlier discussed in the "For Goshsakes Don't Carry Your Own
Pack" -thread? GOATS, the more the better in fact. (Make sure you get
young goats; old goats have a well-deserved reputation for being
cantankerous, irrational, and smelly...)
      I have it on good authority that those frisky lil' trail angels
will devour _anything_: cactus, poison oak, foxtails, and all that
disgusting Trail Trash, from toilet paper to foil wrappers to rusted
aluminum cans. Goats will not only carry your gear/ eat you a smooth path
all the way to Canada during the day, but at night you can warm yourself
and cook over a nice goat-poop fire! The ungathered pellets can act as a
Y2K-compliant GPS  for finding your way back to camp etc should you
become lost, and a bleating goat is an excellent security-system!
     Why carry water over the dry sections when you can have fresh goat
milk, which is high in protein and other nutrients, and easy on the
digestion? (Some ambitious hikers make goats' milk cheese to sell in
towns as "chevre de thruhiker", and knit goat-hair sweaters, which pays a
large part of their trip-expenses.) And if a bear(or goat) gets your
food, you can always eat the goat....        Hope this helps,
bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]