Re: [pct-l] Umbrellas and Tyvek (unrelated)

Hey Dave,

>I see that the subject umbrella has come up again and, instead of
>asking about making one, I wonder if anyone has come across an ultra
>light already made one. I thought I found a pretty good compact
>umbrella, but I got caught in a monsoon in Singapore and it has never
>been the same since.

We have yet to field test the ones we've bought, but we're planning on experimenting with Totes Professional.  It's this eensy-weensy collapsible umbrella that opens to "full size" (whatever that means) that--with only 2 modifications, remomoving the handle and cutting off the velcro strap--weighs in at a very exciting 5.75 oz.  The one Jardine modified was your average standard umbrella that was not collapsible.  My personal concern, one that Mike does not currently share, is that there is something more robust and durable about a one-piece shaft than a telescoping shaft like that Professional.  However, if you decide to go with modifying one after all, Mike found another umbrella that is so far wonderfully durable called the Gust-Buster.  It has a fiberglass construction and the covering has these interesting wind vent things that prevent a lot of typical problems, but before modification it is rather heavy; I figure it will weigh in a 9 oz. after modification.  That's all we have for you. :)

--Team "On Fire"
   M & J