[pct-l] McPhee Books

Personally I am on a John McPhee tear.  I have read all his books this last
year, except one.  I am saving that as "emergencey reading" for the
thruhike.  His nonfiction writing subjects vary all over the map , but a
lot of his books relate to the environment, and 4 are a series on Geology.
(Basin and Range, In suspect Terrain, Rising from the Plains and Assembling
California - in order).  These  books are very factual, but they read like
novels, and often center on a particular person and end up being almost
like biographies as well.

I also got The Endurance:Shackleton's Ledgendy Artic Expedition by Carolyn
Alexander for Christmas.  The photographs are stunning, and the story of
the expedition"s survival is just hard to believe or imagine.  Heavy book
through, but read it and it will tinge your experience forever and you will
be taking it hiking in your memories.

Goforth