Re: [pct-l] Canine Buddies

Darcy,

Your only real logistical problem with a dog in National Parks is in the
Sierras from Cottonwood Pass to Sonora Pass. If you can get someone to meet
you at Sonora Pass (just north of Yosemite) you could go the rest of the
way with your dogs without much problem. You can go around Lassen on an
alternative route (or just sneak right through!). Crater Lake is the only
other National Park you have to worry about which is really no worry at
all. I went through last year with my dog without a problem. I should say
that I wasn't caught though. I doubt they'd give you a ticket or make you
pay a fine there, but you never know, it's just another adventure. North
from Crater Lake dogs are allowed on the section of trail that skirts Mt.
Rainier N.P., then its on to Canada. You should check with the Canadian
Government about their rules on bringing a dog into the country. I had my
dog picked up at Stevens Pass to avoid the hassle.

Mark Dixon