pct-l-digest V1 #666

> [...]
>>
>> First off, don't count on using your first try. Whenever I did a major
>> redesign, it always took at least two tries to get it right. Second, the
>> planned volume had no bearing the actual volume when I was done.
>>
>> The easiest way to measure the actual volume is to buy a BIG bag of dried
>> beans and fill up the pack, then measure them as you pour them out.
>>
>> The beans make good "practice" weight for training hikes too!
>>
>> Hike your own hike
>>
>> Brick
>>

>> * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net
>*
>
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:56:02 -0800
>From: reynolds@ilan.com
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Pack Size
>
>Don't confuse the volume of an external with an internal frame pack. In the
>internal, almost everything goes inside. In the external, lots gets carried
>on top or on bottom. Carrying the tent and a sleeping pad on top of a D-3
>is no problem. If a 3900 cc external was busting at the seams then a 5500
>cc internal would be about right for the same equivilent carrying power.
>

>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:44:54 +0100
>From: Svein Eriksen <svein.eriksen@Braathens.no>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] Pack capacity for PCT truhike
>
>I used a 3000+ pack on the PCT. The same on the AT. It's extendable to
>maybe 3500 (actually 60 liters) by raising the lid. I also have two
>small mesh sidepockets. I carried 25+ pounds (with ice axe), including a
>tent (Bibler I-tent), a 20 degree (Feather Friends) bag and a full
>length thermarest. Also normal cooking gear (Pot and a MSR).
>
>Worked fine for me, although getting 8+ days of food and 6 quarts of
>water inside took some work (always carry everything inside). That was
>the most I ever carried on the PCT (actually needed only 7 days of
>food).
>
>I also pack my stuff very compact. Most people (carrying the same as me)
>probably would be more happy with a slightly larger pack, but if you're
>going ultralight the 2600+ is probably enough. The size of your sleeping
>bag is very important!
>
>Getting the pack to be more square. Assume you're thinking about it
>being kind of "barrel-formed" if you stuff it hard. That's always a
>problem even with internal frame packs. You can either stuff it less
>hard or trying to find a configuration that will keep it square. That's
>what I do. My pack has a frame, but it's very weak. I put my sleepingbag
>+ clothes (in a stuffsack) horizontally in the bottom, the thremarest
>vertical beside it, the tent on top of the thermarest. The food bag
>takes the rest of the pack. Then I add the (few) other items were they
>fit. All the main items have a fairly well-defined shape though, and

internal channel running highlights of past love affairs, another showing
read-your-stars stuff, like: what would I be doing a year from
now?...Thoughts, when they came condensed around some strange nucleii.
Octopuses, for example, though I've no idea why."

>>Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:16:29 -0800
>>From: "William M. Stenzel" <manjovin@concentric.net>
>>Subject: [pct-l] weather reality
>
>>I prepared for my first long hike on the PCT while living in Alaska; I
>heard glowing reports of trail conditions, packed up my stuff and headed
>south. Imagine my surprise as, riding on Amtrack south through the
>Central Valley, I see snow-capped peaks looming up in the distance!
>> This winter, I live in Davis, CA, and watch those distant mountains day
>by day. Yesterday, the Sierras received 10 feet of snow. There is no way
>I would consider starting a through hike before mid-May without heading
>up to the trail and checking the conditions out myself. Even then I
>would leave prepared for late season storms.
>
>>Living in the shadow of the range gives you added respect for its moods.
>I have only seen the entire valley clear of storms for one day since
>November. Analogy: very view native Nepali have any desire to climb the
>great peaks; they know what the weather is like.
>
>>will
>
>It's starting already.  One big storm in the Sierras and the dire warnings
begin.  If I listened to everyone who gave this kind of advice in '98, I
would have missed out on the one of the most magical parts of my thru-hike:
the Sierra in mid- to late-June in a big snow year.  You do absolutely no
one a favor by trying to scare them into a mid-May start based on one big
storm in January.  It could well mean absolutely nothing.  The snow/water
content measurements I've looked at indicate a normal to below normal year
and so what if it turns big!  It could snow like crazy the next two months,
but with an early, warm spring, be back to normal or below normal by
mid-June for the thru-hiking season.  And even if it becomes big and stays
that way, the Sierras are passable when lots and lots and lots of people
swear up one side and down the other that they are not.  To borrow a word,
Bullfeathers!  Ugh!

>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:29:47 -0800
>From: Chris Bailey <hikertrash@earthlink.net>
>Subject: [pct-l] Pack capacity
>
>Joanne:
>
>On our '98 thru-hike:
>
>I used a 2800 cubic inch rucksack (I took the framesheet out and left the
top pocket at home for a weight of 2 lbs. 5 ozs.

>Jenelle used a 3000 cubic inch rucksack that weighed 2 lbs. 3 ozs.
>
>We both used our sleeping pads against our backs (inside the packs) for
added rigidity (though this does force more weight further away from your
back).  We always had enough room for our not-very-compact food, though
sometimes just barely, like leaving Independence for Red's Meadow.

>Chris.
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:41:23 -0800
>From: Chris Bailey <hikertrash@earthlink.net>
>Subject: [pct-l] MSR Filters
>
>What does it say about MSR Waterworks filters that people either loath them
or love them, and that both sides are trying to convert the other?  Oh yeah,
we're not supposed to have sides on this list, are we? ; )
> [...]
>Subject: [pct-l] boredom
>
>Hmmm, next time I will read all the way through the digest version before
>sending off a note. There were more comments along this line that I hadn't
>read yet, including Jim's insightful entries....
>I just had to comment on the line of spending a lot of time alone with your
>thoughts. There was a side effect of this that I ran into late on the trail
>and after I finished; my thoughts while hiking were "non-linear" to say the
>least, and conversations became very disjointed. It was also difficult for
>me to follow along sometimes as my brain would be trying to jump ahead of
>whatever discussion was taking place. The other thru-hikers seemed to
>understand, but it sometimes took a real effort to chat with non-hikers...
>
>Skeeter
>

>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:06:08 -0500
>From: "Mayer, Jim" <JMayer@crt.xerox.com>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] MSR Filters
>
>Loathe them or love them?  I don't know if I'd go that far :-)  Here are
>some possibilities though:
>
>(1) There are two flavors of MSR filter out there.  The "Waterworks" and
the
>"Miniworks".  The Waterworks has a membrane filter element after the
regular
>filter.  It is also a bit heavier.  The membrane filter cannot be cleaned,
>so perhaps a dirty membrane filter explains some of the poor performance
>people seem to see.
>
>(2) I seem to reacall that earlier versions of the Waterworks had a problem
>with "vapor lock".  While I don't know the exact mechanism, the end result
>was apparently frustrating.
>
>(3) Having used both a PUR Hiker and a MSR Miniworks there is no question
in
>my mind that the Hiker pumps faster, at least when the filter element is
>new.  When compared "head to head" against a PUR Hiker with a new filter
the
>Miniworks just feels aenemic.
>
>(4) If you don't use bottles and/or bags with a Nalgene wide mouth fitting
>the ergonomics of the MSR filter would be painful.  On the other hand, if
>you DO use bottles with the right fitting the ergonomics are great!
>
>I like my MSR, but if I was planning for a thru-hike this year I might
start
>experimenting with the PUR Pioneer.  The Pioneer has a couple of big
>potential advantages:
>
>(1) light weight
>(2) it still screws on to my bottles
>(3) the filter elements are so light that one or two can be easily carried
>as spares.
>
>Since I've never used one I have no personal experience with how they hold
>up in the field.
>
>I really like the idea of being able to "rejuvinate" my filter by cleaning
>or by carrying a (light and compact) spare element.

This is
> [...]
>time.  On my thru-hike I popped in and out of this phase for a couple of
weeks
>or so.  The one song I remember being unable to escape from was Cher's
"Gypsies,
>Tramps, and Thieves".
>
>But after that, the 'grasping' part of my mind takes a back seat and the
>perceptive part of my mind seems to expand out around me, and I enjoy just
being
>aware of everything going by, and contemplating what exists around me, even
for
>months at a time.  I don't take a radio or books when I hike, those are
some of
>the things I like to get away from.
>
>Florida Tim
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:29:16 EST
>From: HikerQs@aol.com
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Re: thoughts while walking
>
>In a message dated 99-01-26 09:44:57 EST, pctcoach@sopris.net writes:
>
><< Songs I hadn't heard in years floated out of memory.  (some
> > got REALLY annoying...)
>
> Yup, and then then run through my mind and my vocal chords endlessly,
> sometimes for days at a time. Hard to get unstuck once one of those old
> tunes gets imbedded! >>
>
>The worst, the WORST song ever to get stuck in one's head, INMO, is the
>"Jeopardy" theme. It's monotonous, potentially continuous, and the same
>cadence as a good hiking pace (a hiking stick or sticks only makes matters
>worse). I don't know how that one ever gets into my skull, but mercy is it
>drag. Don't believe me? Then I double-dawg dare you to try it.
>
>Meese
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:21:40 -0600
>From: Andrew Yip <AndrewY@micrografx.com>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] MSR Filters
>
>>(4) If you don't use bottles and/or bags with a Nalgene wide mouth fitting
>>the ergonomics of the MSR filter would be painful.  On the other hand, if
>>you DO use bottles with the right fitting the ergonomics are great!
>
>I spent several frustrating days trying to use one with a narrow mouth
>bottle. Since there's no outlet tube, you just have to hold the filter over
>the bottle, but since the handle is on the side, every time you pump the
>filter moves away from the mouth. So if you're planning to use any sort of
>narrow mouth bottle I would stay away (unless you can come up with some
>crafty way to add an outlet tube)
>
>- -Yip
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *

>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:28:26 -0600
>From: Andrew Yip <AndrewY@micrografx.com>
>Subject: [pct-l] reading matter
>
>After following the thread about boredom, etc. I was thinking about what
I'm