[pct-l] thoughts for 99ers

     I have been lurking this site since before my thru hike last
summer.  I made one post before I left, but have not posted since.
Today I was thinking about what I would do differently if I were to hike
again this summer.  Each one is minor, but they did not cross my mind
before I started.

1)      I took about 500 slides during my summer.  I love showing these
to people who are genuinely interested, but sometimes it becomes too
difficult due to the hassles of a slide show.  For just a few dollars
more, you can get prints along with your slides as they are developed.
That way, an idea of your journey is easily accessible to those who are
interested, but who you would not invite over to a slide show.

2)      Before I left, I read a post on the list about not taking a
watch and thought it was absolutely crazy.  My watch battery died just
before I reached Tuolomne meadows and I can honestly say it was the best
thing that could have happened.  I never worried about time or miles for
the rest of my hike.  I would take a watch for your first few weeks
while you become accustomed to the pace of everyday walking, but try it
without as soon as you feel comfortable.  It seems weird at first, but
if you are going to escape, you might as well do it completely.

3)    While I am by no means an advocate of spending more money than you
have, I wish I would have used my credit card just a few more times.  If
I would have spent an extra 10 dollars at every stop, I would have eaten
like a champ while placing just a couple more tasty libations in my
stomach.  Until you are there, you wont know how much happier this will
make you.  My point is, at 28 stops, that is about 280 dollars.  I was
so worried about spending too much money, but the reality is that I paid
that off in no time once I returned home and to work.

Also, not until I arrived at Mt. Laguna did I discover they did not take
credit.  A money machine was nowhere in sight and I wanted a candy bar
more than anything.  They did not have a cash machine, but the post
office had just what I needed.  I walked next door to the post office
and purchased a money order on my debit card, made it out to the store,
and they took it just like cash.  just a thought if you find yourself in
a jam.   You can only buy a money order with a debit card though, they
don't take credit for that.

Brad Cascagnette
Southbound 98