[pct-l] Pack capacity for PCT truhike

Emergency request: how big a pack( capacity or size) did you PCT thruhikers
use and need.

I just finished the last seam on my pack and it looks enormous.  At this
point I can take in the side seams to alter the depth of the pack (front to
back).

I had put my stuff in a box, measured the box and figured that I needed
that plus capacity for at least 6 quarts water and 5 days of food:
		base equipment space =2200cu in
		5 days of food                 = 660 cu in
		6quarts of water              = 480 cu in
				total      =3340 cu in

Now I wasn't really careful about the stuff I put in the box ( some of the
items that I will take are not gotten or made yet), but I approximated with
the same things that I have carried for years.  And I did not load the box
like TR loads his bear cannister, I figured it was an approximation and a
little space was necessary for those few times that I would have more than
5 days of food to carry.

I then did some calculations and found out that a pack that measured 9
wide, 29 inches tall, and l3 inches across would give me 3340 cu in.

At this point I looked at a lot of boxes, folded some paper, measured 6
packs that I already have, make sketches, designed a bigger pack and one
that tapered and then smaller, than bigger, than smaller, and finally in
frustration just decided to make the 9 x29x13 (with no extension at the
top, I figured I could tie on an extra stuff sack at the top for the few
times that I needed bigger capacity)

As I say, when finally sewed up the last seam and loaded the thing, it
seems enormous, but the capacity is not that far off.  It becomes awkward
without some internal stays because the pack simply "rounds" and the weight
becomes distributed fairly far from your back and therefore the center of
gravity is quite a ways from your body.  This puts a lot of strain on the
back and other joints.

Consequently I am thinking about cutting down the sides two inches which
will give me a pack capacitty of 2639 cu inches.  And I really wonder it
that will be enough.

I am also considering various ways the thing can be loaded to make it more
"square".  Any suggestions?

I still like my old kelty, which is much lighter than the internal frame
packs and should be fine for the trail, and which sits itself up for
your hips.

ALL COMMENTS WELCOME

At some Peace
Goforth