[pct-l] Re: success

Rebecca - there is a fine line between continuing a thruhike for the wrong
reasons (i.e. stiff necked pride -  "I told my friends and now I can't back
out without looking foolish.") and doing it because you are committed to
doing the whole thing because it is important to you to take on a major
challenge and finish.  There is a real joy in doing that.  Long distance
hiking is really hard - physically, mentally, emotionally - and if you
aren't really committed to hiking the trail through the bad times as well
as the good, it becomes almost impossible to finish.  It's like anything
worth doing - marriage, building a business, etc - it isn't all sunshine
and flowers, and only a really strong commitment will get you through the
hard times.  Occasionally we run into someone - usually an outdoor store
employee - who says, "Thruhiking, that must be so much fun!"  And I laugh.
Because, while there are fun moments, as a whole, it isn't fun to be
pushing your body to its limits day after day. On the other hand, it can be
happiness. There is an enormous difference between fun and happiness, and
part of happiness (for me at least) is taking on a big challenge, despite
the difficulties, and sticking it out.  And not just while the good times
last.

Ginny