Re: [pct-l] room 4 everybody

Thruhikers are definitely SPECIAL to someone who is contemplating a
thruhike. This list is a great place for prospective thruhikers to get
information and experiences from someone who has done it.

Mike's comment about what the average backpacker says upon learning he's a
thruhiker: "I wish I could do it?" Really? From what I've learned on this
list the average backpacker hasn't a clue. I backpack extensively yet I am
never faced with boredom, rarely have a problem with resupply and blisters
aren't really an issue -- yet these are all problems routinely mentioned by
thruhikers. {There are many other problems that a thruhiker faces that the
average backpacker doesn't. I picked these three at random.}

What's my point? Well average backpacker, do your really want to walk from
sunup to sundown, passing the lovely lake to make a couple of extra miles
and camp in a rock pile? Are you really willing to leave everything
non-essential home to travel lighter and further. .  . .and on . . . and
on? If the average backpacker really knew what a thruhike entails we would
have less non-finishers -- because we'd have less starters.

Does this make thruhikers SPECIAL or SUPERIOR relative to the average
backpacker? Only if the average backpacker dreams and wishes he could
complete a thru hike and looks up to a thruhiker as someone who has done
something he would like to do but can't