Re: [pct-l] room 4 everybody

Birgitte Jensen wrote:

>     I  feel sad to read posts that  dividepct-list-ers into "worthy" and
> "unworthy" groups:

I haven't seen anyone make that kind of division, bj.  Why are you doing
so?  I've seen a number of discussions on different topics - and a lot
of disagreement, but that doesn't seem to have "divided" the list in the
sense that you're stating. If you want a "divided" list, let me know - I
know where you can find several of them.

> what about someone who climbs, skiis, dayhikes, rides,
> _and_backpacks easy trails _and_ rough cross-country for a coupla days
> to nearly a month at a stretch _and_ has "done" the pct?).

How many of these people would you like me to introduce you to?  :-)

I think most of us on the list fit that general category whether we're
thruhikers or not.  I've been through this argument more than once - it
generally leads into the idea that thruhikers are no different than
anyone else and therefore are not "special" and deserve no more
consideration or respect than any other backpacker.  And the argument is
"partially" (but ONLY "partially") true even though it's invariably
presented by someone who has not and probably will not ever be a
thruhiker.   Thruhikers are not supermen - and they're not "special".
But they are different - and they do have experience that others lack -
and that some people want - and want to know about.  And they do
something "different" than those who consider themselves backpackers.
Not "better"  -  but definitely different.

The last time we went though this, it came down to somebody's bright
idea that thruhikers shouldn't take pride in what they've done because
it makes others "feel bad about themselves".  I believe that's what's
called a "Politically Correct" idea.  It's also nonsense.

>  The backcountry may be woefully-overcrowded, but there's still plenty
> of room on the _internet_ for everybody. Like other subscribers
> periodically point out: the name of this list is the Pacific Crest
> Trail.  I propose that it should be the topic that UNITES us, not pulls > us apart.

Finally - something I agree with.

Walk softly,
Jim