Re: [pct-l] Hello to list...and a few comments

Hi, Chris I am glad you're on the list. I've read about half your journal,
and really enjoyed it. I refer a lot to the Guidebook while I am doing it
so I haven't finished it. Thank you so much for making it available, and
congradualations on being one of the few to do a N to S thruhike last year

I hang my food, often just by the long strings of my foodbags, at least 3-4
feet off the ground out on a limb (away from the tree trunk).  usually in a
tree that is 20 feet from my camp so that if a bear does come by, I am not
right there.  I do this because I do not like rodent damage, and I hate
mice climbing over me while I sleep.  I have seen lots of bears.  I have
never had a bear get my food.  I  am generally out and away from trails.  I
think this is the best protection you can get from bears: get away from
areas that have bears habituated to human food.

I used to take food into the tent with me.  One night, a mouse climbed up
the side seam of the tent body walked along the ridge seam and would slide
down the tent body. <G>.  He did this a lot of the night, it was keeping me
awake. :(  I was relieved when he gave up.:)  The next morning there was a
large hole in the side of my tent. :( Thereafter I hung my food up.

One trip, I got up one morning and there was a large hole in my pack: it
went from the inside to one of my outside pockets.  I had forgotten and
left a small package of peanuts in the pocket, and the top was open
overnight.

I still get mouse damage, but it is much less.  I absolutely hate having
mice get into my food, partly because I don't have anything to spare, but
also because the turds and urine contaminates food even if they do not eat
it.  Hanta virus is real possibility, and it is more dangerous than a bear
getting your food.

I now also hang up my ice ax(because of the wrist loop) and if possible my
boots , because  I have had these badly chewed as well.

In addition, marmots have chewed the shoulder and waist straps  and the
zippers on my Kelty during daylight hours.  So during the day, I hang my
pack as well.  Often, I will just put it in the crook of a tree.  For some
reason, marmots do not seem to climb trees at all, although
characteristically they perch on and climb rocks.

Sincerely,
Goforth

Hi Joanne:

Thanks for the kind words about our website.  It makes all the effort to keep it going seem worthwhile knowing someone's out there enjoying it.

I wholeheartedly agree with all your comments about rodents, marmots, etc.  I have had all the same problems.  When I was a wilderness ranger and had to carry a shovel into the backcountry and camp at popular, high-use areas, I had marmots try to drag the shovel off due to the salt on the handle.  I've also had my pack chewed on by marmots when I've left it behind on summit hikes.  One strategy I adopt is to try to hit offending animals with rocks, my version of human aversion therapy that some wildlife types use with species like the California Condors to try to make them afraid of people, like they're supposed to be.

We did get rodent damage one night on the PCT, when we left our food in the vestibule of the tent, with part of the foodbag sticking out from under it.  We never had any problem with the food in the tent or in our double bivy.  Often, I would put the food inside my sleeping bag at the foot.  Otherwise, I would put the food inside my sleeping bag stuff sack and then inside my pack and I would securely tie off the top of the backpack.  Perhaps all these layers of stinky fabric disguised the scent enough that the rodents never thought to chew their way in?  Aside from this one incident, we had no other problems, except for in September in Washington, when the mice seemed to get really active whenever we camped in a previously-used site.  They never got into anything, just ran around all night making noise.  The deer were much more annoying though, snuffling around our tarp looking for salt deposits.

My comments about food protection were really aimed at the bear problem.  I feel strongly that bears can easily overcome their natural fear of humans in order to pluck food out of a tree, but that it is much more difficult for them to come very near actual people to try to steal food.  Obviously, there are exceptionally habituated bears who are the exception.  Of course all bets are off in griz country.

Like you, I see bears all the time in the backcountry, though I've never had one in camp at the night that I know of.  Perhaps all this exposure has made me a little more comfortable about their presence around us, and a little less paranoid.  Virtually every bear I've ever seen (close to 50 maybe) has bolted at first sight, as they should.

Thanks for your comments.

Chris.