[pct-l] 1999 Through-hiker Trailhead Hospitality

I have been a list subscriber for over a year now, and a PCTA member last month.  The list is great, the association superb.  I love the email and the Communicator.  I am particularly impressed by the members' passion for the Trail and their caring stewardship of it.   I did a bit of backpacking along the northern end of the Tahoe Yosemite Trail in 1976 and again in 1994.  My goal is to complete a through-hike in one season, but I may have to section hike because I am a teacher and I can only hike from (approximately) June 19 through September 4.  ( G, this opening sounds like this post is about ME....it isn't.)

I live in San Diego, and I would like to offer my hospitality to the through-hikers of 1999.  I don't own a bus line or a hotel, but I can pick you up at the airport, have you stay at my home (indoors or out...as you choose) and get you to the trailhead in Campo, which is one hour away.  I have a 32 foot RV and a 7 passenger minivan, so I am certain I can handle 12 to 20 hikers and their gear.  I am guessing that most of you will want to be at the trailhead at first light on May 1 or possibly the Saturday before or after.  I would be happy to host a group each weekend.

The possibilities are boundless, and I think this will be great fun.  We could make a shopping trip to REI or Adventure 16, swim, commune in the jaccuzi, meet, plan, reminisce, or tell stories.

I would like to help as many as I can get off to a fun start, and I won't turn anyone away.  Email me with as much detail as you can, and I will try my best to make it happen.  Happy Trails.

Bob Riess  CDRRIESS@prodigy.net