Re: [pct-l] Banning Horses? Nah!

BJ, I think you are in error concerning the percentages of packer use. I
wonder if there are actual figures? A mule can carry 150 pounds. This is
way more than a party of 7 needs for a week's resupply -- even granting a
thru hikers gargantous appitite. Yet,  I,ve seen 10 to 12 pack animals
going somewhere. This must be a fixed camp. I've also seen trains of 20+
riders followed by 20+ pack animals for 7-10 day excursions. The packers
advertise this trips. Groups of this size, with their horses and wranglers,
take up a huge campsite. As much as I dislike the Sierra Club practice of
12-15 sized groups, these are way worse. Some specialize in them. I bet
that backpacker resupply is a minor amount of traffic. [I also understand
from packers is that these fully supported trips are where they make their
money, not from dunnage]

Let's step back a miniute here. If we add up everybody that uses the
backcountry we get a very small population that uses a huge amount of real
estate. No one who is using the backcountry is paying their fair share. We
have this wonderful resource because it is a national treasure, owned by
all Americans, for the enjoyment of whoever chooses to use it -- in a
responsible way so that it will be there for future generations.

Does this right extend to a business -- the right to make money on public
land. I think not!  A packer must pay for the right to use public land to
make a profit. [To the extent that they do not make a profit, that's their
problem] Currently they are getting a relatively free ride. That needs to
stop because of the obvious damage being done. Obviously this will require
the packer to raise his price dramatically.

How will this affect geritols? Not much. At 57, some would consider me a
geritol. I am amused at the discussion of how to build an alcohol stove. I
carry two (2) titanium stoves @ $250 each. I can pay whatever I want for a
packer. A typical resupply costs $200 or less. If it was a thousand I can
pay it. So can most geritols -- or fishermen with $1000 custom made fly
rods.

To put it simply. I'm willing to walk in horse shit so that my mom [or
yours] can take a horse to the lake but I'm not willing to walk in shit
because Mike Morgan [Bishop Pack Station] can't run a business.