[pct-l] Re: Esbit at Altitude

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:02:15 -0600 (CST)
owner-pct-l-digest@majordomo.hack.net (pct-l-digest) writes:
---------------

>Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:23:57 -0800
>From: Daphne Dionisio <daphne_paige@geocities.com>
>Subject: [pct-l] Esbit at altitude
>
>I am considering taking an Esbit stove with me on the JMT this
>summer.
>Does anyone know how this performs between 10-15,000ft?
>
>Daphne
>daphne_paige@geocities.com

Daphne,
I hiked the JMT in '98 southbound starting August 18th and used an Esbit
the entire way.  I didn't find that the stove was affected at all by the
altitude, which makes sense since it's not a pressurized type of fuel
source.   The key to making this stove work in the Sierras was blocking
the wind!  I carried a foldable aluminum shield sold at Campmor for an
MSR and just used that.  Without it, I think the stove would have been a
dismal failure.

Also, keep in mind that the Esbit has definite limitations.  You really
can't boil more than 2 cups of water at a time.  That's plenty if you're
just cooking up one meal for one hungry hiker.  If you've got a partner
and are planning on sharing the stove, cook up one dinner first and then
do the next dinner.  Don't put a huge pot filled with a quart of water on
top of the stove and expect to get anything above lukewarm water out.

I really liked this stove and plan to continue to use it.  I used a Peak
I on my thru-hike of the AT.  No, I don't get simmering capability or the
same level of heat output as the Coleman fueled stoves, but then again, I
don't have moving parts that can break and I save a pound or more in
weight.

I mailed myself a resupply of fuel tabs and food to the Vermillion Valley
resort.  I averaged about 2 to 2.5 fuel tabs per day.  If my meal was
done before the fuel tab was completely burned up, I would blow it out
and save it to start my next meal or cup of hot chocolate.

Yes, the stove leaves a residue on the bottom of your pot, but it washes
off quite easily in water.

Good luck!

Solophile