[pct-l] cramps/ new food

I used to wake up with terrible leg cramps after a long day on the trail,
someone suggested extra calcium, and now I take two extra strength tums
every night before I go to bed- I have never had cramps again, at night
or while hiking. Some say that Tums may inhibit nutrient absorbtion if
taken regularly, but I have had no problems, also, I think taking them
before bed time, a while after dinner has helped. I noticed no other
side effects. Another important aspect to preventing dehydration/cramps,
is maintaining good potassium/sodium balance.  Many sport drinks are too
heavy on the soduim. One recomendation is to use unrefined sea
salt for meals- that's what I do at home, but I don't know if I'll worry
about it on the trail.

As for new foods that may be off the beaten trail- I am a big quinoa fan,
now beware, this may fall into the corn pasta category- you love it or
hate it.  Best to test it at home.  My favorite are rolled Quinoa flakes
that cook in about 1 min, for a tasty breakfast porridge.  Supposedly
Quinoa is the most nutritous grain out there, supplying all the amino
acids.  I love it.
As for trail foods, I love gold fish (plain or chedder), and if they get
helplessly smashed on the trail, they're good sprinkeld over pasta.
And a breif note on chocolate- for all you westeners, you probably
know that Trader Joes is a great place to stock up on bulk food, but they
have particularly great deals on bulk chocolate- something like 60c per
lb.  You can also mail order bulk food (very cheap) from them if you don't
live near by.

That's all for now

-Charlotte