Re: [pct-l] Spring, summer conditions

In a message dated 11/17/98 2:58:23 PM EST, Arkay7@aol.com writes:

<< It is my humble duty to point out that despite what guidebooks tell you and
 what you think the weather will do, things could very well turn out a little
 differently. Take my experience, for example. When I hiked from Scissor's
 Crossing into the San Felipes, it was about 50 degrees and the wind was
 blowing like you wouldn't believe....So, moral of the story is, be prepared
for any kinds of conditions, no matter what the general consensus is or what
people tell you
 with absolute certainty. >>

Can't argue with your experience there.  Nothing is certain -- we can only use
our best judgment and, hopefully, enjoy the result.  We actually got some rain
on that stretch ourselves -- June 10, 1997.  Took the temp from 120 down to
around 90.   Most welcome!

We camped on a flat spot overnite about 8-10 miles short of Barrel Spring.
Great, last view of Hale-Bopp near the crescent moon.  Also heard but did not
see some kind of cat-critter real close.  Bobcat or couger?  No tracks we
could see in the AM.  You can bet that cat-cough sat us straight up in our
bags!  Whatever it was, it came onto us from upwind so was just as startled as
we were.  Just another typical day on the PCT!