Re: [pct-l] BackPacks

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Bill Sargent wrote:

> I personally find resting in the middle of the trail without regard for
> any other travelers, making them step over or around you selfish and
> arrogant.  My typical response to that behavior is to kick dirt or step
> on the obstructor.

Before thru-hiking, I used to share your opinion whole heartedly. I
couldn't fathom why anybody would block a trail during a break. But at
some point, I got in the habit of doing exactly that. Often times, the
only alternative off the trail is to crush the fragile plants Also
the probability of encountering other hikers is actually pretty low
for much of the trail. When someone did come by, I'd always scramble
to get up and out of their way. It was usually a good time to start up
a conversation as I'd apologize. Now if I come across someone resting
in the trail, I just smile to myself. There's no point in getting
upset over it anyway.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 725-3686
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/