Re: [pct-l] BackPacks

Jim asked,

>3.  My last and stupidest question.  I am sitting here thinking of all
the latest in sock technology and i am wondering why do i still need a
liner sock?  Aren't there socks out there that eliminate the need for
them?

There are many socks out there that may be right for you in combination with
the boots or shoes that you wear. Many swear by the combination of an outer
sock with an inner sock liner. In most cases the inner socks are made of a
wicking material to wick mositure from the foot to the outer sock. In these
cases the inner sock is usually fairly thin.

Other socks are made of wicking materials and would function well by
themselves. Many have zones of different cushioning thicknesses while using
a wicking material. There are socks that are made in a double-layer style
and the ultramarathoning world has used these for years with great success.
I just received a prototype sock made with teflon on the outside and they
are shipping me some with the teflon on the inside. There is even a three
layer sock bonded together that uses a membrane to keep water away from your
foot while also wicking moisture away.

Personally, I would use a sock that wicks while offering good cushioning--in
a single layer. Many others would choose the outer and inner layer
combination. When I did sock research for my book, I was amazed at the types
of socks and materials available. There are some grest socks out there.
Explore in various stores and magazines to see what is offered.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
author: FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers
web site: http://www.footworkpub.com/feet/index.htm (check out the book
here)