RE: [pct-l] New Coleman stoves

I have the Peak1 "XTreme".  It is a nice stove, though for three season solo
trips I still prefer my Trangia alcohol stove.  I had several reasons for
buying the stove:

(1) I wanted to try a non gasoline stove for winter trips.  The pump on my
Whisperlite has failed twice on me, once spilling burning fuel, and I was
not feeling charitable towards MSR.

(2) I wanted a stove that worked like a home gas range for family trips.

The stove looks a lot like a Whisperlite, but doesn't fold up as compactly.
For example, it won't fit in small pot from the MSR Alpine cookset (1.5
liter I believe).  Usage wise it is very convenient and performs flawlessly.
It lights effortlessly, simmers beautifully, and (on full throttle) boils
water quickly.  Supposedly the canisters work even in cold weather... I
havent tried yet (though I may this winter).

The canisters are easy to use and to recycle.  When the canister is empty
you puncture it with a "green key" (included with the stove) then drop it in
with the other aluminum cans.  On the other hand, they do have the usual
canister stove problem of "partially full" bottles.  You can estimate the
remaining fuel with a scale, but since you can't refill a cannister you may
have to carry two of the things.

If PROPERLY PACKAGED AND LABELED the cannisters can be mailed BY GROUND
ONLY.  You may have to wait a while at the post office while the clerk looks
up the regulations... most clerks don't seem to be aware that you can mail
many hazerdous materials if properly packaged and labeled.

-- Jim