[pct-l] introduction

I also have been involved with this list way back when there wasn't
probably 30 people on it, in the days when you could check the mail once
or twice a week and read it all in 10-15 minutes.

I have been backpacking since I was in my early teens, some thirty plus
years ago.  I have spent many summers on the trail with my wife and two
children- being a teacher does have one benefit!  When my daughter was
10 we hiked the PCT from Stevens Pass to Rainy pass (120 miles with a 10
and 12 year old).  When we were done Joy, my daughter, wanted to know
all about the PCT.  She then declared that she too would one day hike
the entire trail.

Over the next 4 summers we section hiked all of Washington and thru hike
all of Oregon.  In the Spring of '96 Joy decided that the time was right
to try to do a thru hike of the PCT.  We started at Campo on April 20,
1997 and finished at Manning Sept. 26.  We were known as Bob n Bug.  Joy
is supposedly the youngest known PCT thru hiker.

We still have visions of other great hikes.  The CDT, AT, some obscure
ones like the Idaho Centennial NST, the Ice Age Trail, and the North
Country Trail.  Unfortunately we have one college student and Joy will
start in two years.

I have been active in the American Long Distance Hiking Association-West
(ALDHA-West), and have had the pleasure to meet a great many hikers from
all over the US and Canada at the Gathering.

This list has had its ups and downs, but those that stay on seem to
always take a well balanced attitude.

--
Bob Turner
President,