[pct-l] Introductions

I have to admit I'm somewhat surprised at the number of 40 plus members
of this group. Considering the normal nature of the Internet, that's
somewhat unusual. Either that or the youngsters are keeping quite.

For those who don't know me, my name is Ron and my trail name is
Fallingwater. I'm also in the 45 plus crowd although I range in age from
20 to 80 depending upon the day. (My wife would probably drop the low
end down a few more years.) I have lived in Oregon for over 20 years,
although I'm a transplant from the East.

In 1977 my wife and I thru-hike the AT (www.fallingwater.com/at77
<http://www.fallingwater.com/at77> ) prior to moving out west. Following
that trip, we had all kinds of plans to do the PCT, CDT and other
adventures. However, responsibilities have tendency to alter priorities.
I did spend 6 years in Mountain Rescue and got a degree in Forest
Management.

With the decline in the Oregon forest industries in the early 80's, I
switch from cruising timber to computer software development. More
lucrative but not nearly as fun as wandering though the woods.

About five years ago, we dusted off our old AT journals, entered them
into the computer and printed out copies for our families. Later we
posted them on the Internet. During that time we toyed with the idea of
returning to the AT for a 20 year anniversary hike with our son.
However, that was put on hold when we discovered that I had cancer.

After undergoing all of the usual effects of chemo and surgeries, I
eventually fully recovered. We decided to go ahead with our '97 hike
with our son to celebrate the success and turn over a new leaf. So we
went back and did about 700 miles www.fallingwater.com/at97
<http://www.fallingwater.com/at97>  .

Since then we're planning on a '01 thru-hike of the PCT when my son
graduates from high school. While we're out hiking the PCT, he's talking
about going back and doing the full AT. Should make for an interesting
resupply.

In the mean time we're headed to the John Muir trail this summer and in
my free time, I manage the ALDHA-West website
(www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw <http://www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw>  ).

Ron "Fallingwater"