[pct-l] Re: dogs on the trail

>From: rogercar@pacifier.com (Roger Carpenter)
>Subject: [pct-l] Sleeping bags and dogs

>As an aside, I don't understand why long distance hikers want to take their
>pets with them.  One of the joys of hiking is to separate oneself from all
>the day to day responsibilities, and dogs seem to be very high maintenance,
>especially on the trail.

Roger, from my experience long distance hiking is full of day to day
responsibilities. It just so happens that some, not all of them, are
different than ones in your "regular" life. Adding a dog is a personal
choice between an increment of added responsibility and the companionship
of a good pal. Some dogs should be left at home - sure, every dog is a
nuisance occasionally - yes, dog owners are often oblivious to the effect
of their pet on others - absolutely. From my experience last summer on the
PCT the dog was much less maintenance than some people required. I hope
this adds some understanding.

Mark Dixon
PCT '98