[pct-l] Ice axes, Making multiple use gear

I am thinking about ordering an all-aluminum ice ax.  Mountain Equipment
Co-op has a Camp Highlander ice ax for 55 dollars Canadian( about 33
dollars american), weights 440 gm.( about 1lb) and comes in 60, 40, and 80
cm.  I have used and carried an ice ax for 30 years, and when I am not on
snow, I ;have found that you can self-arrest on heather, sand, and scree.
More than one Mountaineer has saved his bananas arresting on steep, wet
heather or arresting on steep dry needles (very slippery)...and for me the
ice ax is the original treking pole.  I know that it is not fashionable,
but I believe that an ice ax is useless carried on your pack, and I
definitely know a person that would be alive today if he had had his ice ax
in hand rather than on his pack. The 80 cm. ( 3l -1/2 inches) ax is almost
exactly the length of my present ax.  I am wondering  if anybody out there
knows of other manufactures that carry an aluminum ice ax,about 31 inches,
and that have a steel spike ( the sharp point on the bottom of the ax), or
have one that can be replaced. I know that an aluminium ice ax has definite
limitations for real climbing and belaying, but it seemed like a good
compromise for snowy trails, and is adequate for self-arrest.

By the way Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver , Canada( a pacific NW
secret) has one of the more comprehensive catalogs at the best prices I
have seen.  I can attest to the quality.  And unlike REI, who seems to have
simply become a clothing manufacturer, weights are given for every item.
You need a calculator however to get by the metric system, and to figure
out the cost in american dollars ( it varys, but lately has been about 60
cents on the dollar).  Their shipping is also very slow(weeks).  Mail order
and general phone is  1-800-663-2667(Canada or the U> S>); address: 130 W.
Broadway, Vancouver, B.C. VSY 1P3.  They also have a little different slant
on things, and some good general information in little boxes here and
there. Also the catalogs are very different depending onthe season.

For you other nuts out there, who like me, like to make their own equipment
whenever possible, how about this one: a treking pole that can be converted
into an umbrella.  Or a pack with "stays" that can be open to become a
"crazy creek" chair, which in turn becomes the insulating pad and ground
cloth for under a sleeping bag.  ;I don't have a chair, because I've always
considered it too much of a luxury, but I have tried ones that others own
and the back support really is a relief after long hiking or climbing days.
 Are there any others out there who daydream by designing equipment in
their head, or wake in the middle of the night with some inspirational
quirky design running around in their head.  They sure all don't get made,
but it is fun thinking about.

goforth.

Thoreau: As I decsending there was borne on the breeze a faint
tinkling......and my good genius seemed to day.....grow wild according to
thy nature....go fish farther and wider, each day, farther and wider, rest
ye by many lakes without misgiving, and may the noon find thee everywhere
at home. (from WaldenPond, Baker Farm, and from an imperfect memory)