Re: [pct-l] Rain gear relic (THE PONCHO)

Monte --

Not sure if ponchos get no mention because, a.) everyone loves them and
wouldn't be without one, or b.) they wouldn't have on on a bet.  A little of
each?

My poncho is an old Frostline kit, red, with an extension on the back to help
cover the pack.  It's about nine feet long, overall, and serves as a tent as
well, when needed.  I don't think they make them like that any more.  Some may
say it isn't the best tent OR raingear (and they would be right), but anything
that can do two jobs reasonably well deserves consideration for a spot in a
thru-hiker's pack.  Total weight is 17 ounces, for those who wish to think
about it.

My old Red Flapper needs replacement.  There are serious gaps in the coated
nylon.  Fortunately, Frostline Kits still sells material (including RED) and
fittings.  Over the winter I'll order what I need and use the old poncho as a
pattern for a new one.  Might add a couple snap fasteners to hold mosquito
netting.  Any ideas?