[pct-l] Re: Food Ideas

My staple for packing is Peanut Butter and Jelly on Tortillas. Understand
that I typically hike 1-2 weeks, use a bear canister and pack my food very
carefully.

 If I want to take time to cook breakfast I cook eggs in a BakePacker and
wrap them in a tortilla. Usually I just munch. Lunch is PPJ. For dinner I
use Japanese Rice [the sticky kind] and dried refried or black beans to
make a burrito. I top this off with a fresh baked cake in a BakePacker
[regular cake mix plus egg mix].

I repackage all my food and carefully force all the air out of the plastic
bag, then tie off the bag at 'the top of the twist' and flatten it out.
Typically the bottom 1/3 of the bear canister is tortillas [the solid lard
kind]. I then put in the Peanut Butter and Jelly jars and force the bags of
dried stuff around them. I use as much pressure as possible to get as much
food as possible into the canister. What's left I use for snacks. My choice
is cashews and Jerkey.

Packing carefully I can get over 18 pounds of food in the canister. This is
9-12 man days for me [I have plenty of fat to burn]

I question if not carrying a stove really saves weight. My stove only
weighs 3 1/2 ounces and a fuel canister, that lasts 2 weeks, less than a
pound.  [I use a single pot and the BakePacker weighs 4 ounces] This gets
me eggs, baked cake and the ability to reconstitute difficult items like
rice and/or beans.

If I were to long distance hike, my chosen method would be the "hundred
teenage female slaves" that I have mentioned earlier, but if I decided to
pack it all myself I believe that I would last 120 days before the hunger
set in. [I have at least 60 pounds of fat to burn @ 1/2 pound a day].