Re: [pct-l] RE: pct-l-digest V1 #572

At 06:57 PM 9/8/98 -0000, you wrote:

>It's the only way some
>disabled folks can see the grandeur that is ours.

and

>A lot of trail repair is done by riders. Moving the dirt, logs, rocks and
>clearing some places couldn't be done otherwise except with a TRACTOR, now
>we don't want tractor trenches to step in do we?

Funny, I don't recall EVER seeing a disabled person riding a horse in the
back country.  This, of course, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen but
this is not a justification for the damage horses do, is it?  I'd be happy
to make an exception to a ban on horses in wilderness and National Parks
for disabled people and for rangers for enforcement and maintenance
purposes but please don't try to justify the terrible damage done by horses
with these arguments, they simply don't wash with people who are truely
looking out and care for the preservation of our wilderness (or
quasi-wilderness) assets.

>I don't want to see anti-horse flaming again. Back to lurking.

If you didn't want to, why would you light the fire with these excuses for
the burden that we ALL pay for with the apalling degradation and offensive
consequences of horses on the trail?

BTW,  I saw the effects first hand this weekend, north of Kennedy Meadows,
along the PCT.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel