[pct-l] Can you bare more bear history

During my 1979 PCT attempt, bears nabbed a fellow hiker's food 2 times
at the lakes (Bubbs??) just over Kearsage Pass so he ended up hiking the
pass 3 times (once to get his initail resupply pack and then 2 more
times after getting nailed by the bears).  The first time he got hit, he
didn't really do anything to protect his food.  The next time in, he
hung his food better than most.  But a kamikaze mama bear climbed up the
tree to a level just above his food and leaped through the air to take
his food down with her.  He figured she took at least a 10' fall.  I
knew of the bear problem in that area.  I cooked dinner early, hiked for
another hour, then hiked a 1/4 - 1/2 mile off the trail for camp.  No
problems.  It doesn't seem so bad if you cut cross country across the
inside of a loop in the trail.  I hiked late and started early.  I used
the same strategy when crossing Yosemite and didn't have any problems.
I did have problems with Marmots, ground squirrels, and skunks so I
started lobbing rocks at them whenever I saw them. Basically I used what
Jardine now calls stealth camping.  Outside the known bear areas, I used
the Fletcher in the sleeping bag culinary system.  So even if I hung my
food, my sleeping bag still probably smelled like food.  By hiking and
camping in this way, I also avoided most of the backcountry rangers (not
that I was trying too).  I only remember seeing one for my 3 months on
the PCT.  So if you're worried about getting ticketed, stealth camping
may help avoid that.  If you're camping near enough to the trail that a
ranger can find you, a bear surely will.  One hikers anecdotal
experience.
       Jeff Jones
In favor of hunting permits allowing the taking of any bear within 25
yards of a hanging stuff sack (as were all hikers I talked with that
lost food).