Re: [pct-l] Re: Getting a citation @ Kearsarge

At 03:03 PM 8/31/98 -0700, Jeffrey Olson wrote:
>On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Brick Robbins wrote:
>
>Why have bear boxes been deemed "bad?"  On my last hike on the JMT the
>Crabtree ranger said that they'd not had any bear problems in years since
>bear boxes were put in place.

I wrote : "The Inyo National Forest has taken the position that Bear Boxes are BAD"

Crabtree is in SEKI (National Park, not Forest) so they still have bear boxes.

I don't know why Inyo NF has taken this postition, but I have heard it is becasue:

1)people leave trash in them
2)they get full on busy weekends so all the food won't fit in them
3)they are man made and don't belong in wilderness areas.

Take your pick.

Hike your own hike
-Brick