Re: [pct-l] Lightweight Packs

At 12:35 PM 8/28/98 -0700, you wrote:

>In California one must carry a bear canister.

Exactly where do you find this requirement? I cannot find it anywhere that is written, except for Inyo National Forest Wilderness permits issued for Kearsarge pass.

I have repeatedly requested a copy of the law, order or ordinance requireing a Bear Canister from the forest service, and I have yet to receive anyhing but a poorly worded forest order (04-97-1) that requres the use of "a bear proof container or another manner desinged to prevent bears from gaining access to food or refuse."

The history of how the requirement got onto the wilderness permit is rather suspect also.

>Ray Jardine did not carry a bear canister. Things were different then.

No they weren't (IMHO of course).

You say that a couple of