[pct-l] Re: Water crossings & ropes, pct-l-digest V1 #552

Mark/Stinky asked "What would be wrong if the first person across a
raging stream on the PCT tied a rope from one side to the other for the
health and safety of future crossers? "

I've read of disasters happening with the combination of ropes & stream
crossings - even if the rope itself could provide support/balance, it could
offer a false sense of security to someone not experienced in crossing
streams...er...raging torrents.  I'm not going to even go NEAR the littering
issue... ;-)
What I've heard is that the rope can actually contribute to keeping the
hiker submerged after a fall.  Anyone with swift water rescue experience out
there?  (If Mark's suggestion were implemented...)

Christine
cmkudija@earthlink.net